Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Rooftop Garden

The apartment that I am living now is actually a Penthouse. The upper floor is an open air private roof top that I can put all my plants there. The rooftop can be so hot at times and I have to make sure that I water the plants once a day if there's no rain.

A view of the sky. So Blue so beautiful with white marsh-mallow clouds.




Recently I bought an organic chicken shit fertilizer at a nursery inside Pasar Borong Selangor that I can put on all the plants. The fertilizer works wonderfully as I could see all my dying plants are growing back nicely.

Whenever my White Phalaenopsis is flowering, it will be placed inside my living room as a decoration. The flower normally will last almost a month



On my balcony, I put a pot of Ginger and Anthurium.





On the right is a Hawaiian fern known as Laua'e Fern in Hawaii. It is quite a popular plant that everyone grows and being used a lot in making Leis in Hawaii. In the middle of the picture is some of different colored Ti Leaf plant/Jenjuang/Cordyline Terminalis. On the left are my new Kedah Gardenia and Crape Jasmine.
This Anthurium was originally bought by my mother in Singapore in the 70's. She has been growing this Anthurium since before I was born. It is amazing that this plant can survive for so long. Since late 80's, I took over taking care of all her plants in my kampung and managed to keep some of her favorite ones alive until to this day.





My Kedah Gardenia (Gardenia Carinata Wallich) is also flowering.(Right Photo)I have been looking for this Gardenia since I first saw it in Hawaii quite many years ago. And a few months ago I saw it sold by a nursery near my house at Kinrara.



I have been keeping this Tiger Orchid (Grammatophyllum Speciosum) for more than 10 years. I hope someday it will flower for me. Seems like it will take another "forever" to flower though. Flower or not, I love it anyway as it has a sentimental value to me. My older sister Kak Nie used to work as a clerk at a Sawmill in Gemas, Negeri Sembilan. I told my sister to tell the truck drivers that brought back all the logs back to the sawmill to collect the wild orchids for me and they did. They brought back the Tiger Orchid and other wild orchids for me.


My Red Hibiscus and Bougainvillea are flowering nicely ever since I put the new organic fertilizer on them. Behind the Red Hibiscus is 2 pots of flowering Bamboo Orchid (Arundina Graminifolia).

3 comments:

  1. You’ve got a lot of plants there! Good thing you have thought of setting up a rooftop garden! Anyway, are you the only one who’s taking care of your plants? Keep it up!

    -Kip Whitehead

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a rooftop garden too! I tried a lot of times to set one up but planting isn’t just my forte. How many plants do you have there?

    ReplyDelete